The Southern Africa Human Rights Defenders Network (SAHRDN) seeks applications from womxn for its 2021 Communications Fellowship.
The Communications Fellow will work with primarily the SAHRDN’s Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor and the SAHRDN Secretariat to manage SAHRDN’s public communications activities. The fellowship is well suited for graduate students, young scholars, and academic professionals who wish to develop a deeper knowledge of human rights defending while contributing to an important human rights defenders’ protection and professional organization and gain professional experience in social media and communications.
The Communications Fellow will contribute to the development of a new multilingual website for SAHRDN; will follow and disseminate relevant information; will draft and edit official SAHRDN announcements; and will participate in other special projects as they arise.
The SAHRDN Secretariat works from the office and also remotely from their respective locations, communicating via email, online chat, video calls, and other effective means. The communications fellow must provide access to a computer and internet connection.
Roles and Responsibilities
The SAHRDN Communications Fellow will commit an average of 10-15 hours per week of work with an increase in workload during specific activities such as online dialogues, webinars and site visits. Responsibilities include
- Collaborating with SAHRDN members of the Secretariat to draft and edit official SAHRDN communications to be published to the SAHRDN website and to be shared via SAHRDN social media accounts, relevant email lists, and in other online venues;
- With the SAHRDN Secretariat, identifying and amplifying on SAHRDN’s website and/or social media accounts announcements, awards, articles and journals;
- With the SAHRDN Secretariat, identifying information that may be of interest to the global SAHRDN community;
- With the SAHRDN Secretariat, monitoring SAHRDN’s social media presence daily and weekly;
- With the SAHRDN Secretariat and network members, maintaining up-to-date information on SAHRDN’s website;
- Working with the SAHRDN Secretariat to respond to feedback or criticism as needed.
- Monitor weekly updates on the human rights situation in focal countries for publishing on SAHRDN social media pages.
Skills and Qualifications
Essential skills and qualifications include:
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French or Portuguese is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of human rights issues in Southern African region and the ability to identify related problems in their political, social, ethnic, racial, gender equality and socio-economic dimensions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Attention to detail;
- Some knowledge of digital humanities communities and current discourses;
- Some knowledge of social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
Desirable skills and qualifications include:
- Experience creating and publishing content using Drupal, WordPress, or another web content management system.
- Skills in graphic design and multimedia editing.
working knowledge of more than one language. We are seeking especially applicants with experience translating written content from English into one or more languages relevant to our member countries, in French or Portuguese. To apply, submit a CV or résumé, a brief writing sample, the names of two references, and a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position to the SAHRDN Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor at email@example.com . The application deadline is 23:59 SAST on 30 May 2021